This rusty bolt took a half day to remove. Spray, wait, wrench, respray, wait, wrench, spray, wait, etc etc. The lower parts of this bike were not lubricated properly after riding in water.
Ordered a stronger bolt kit to upgrade the rear subframe for carrying heavier weights without breaking. Required drilling through the solid steel backbone of the bike. With patience and lots of cutting oil, we made it through...
Was warned about the achilles heel of the KLR - the infamous Doohickey. Also known as the cam chain tensioner. The spring that supplies the tension can break allowing loose pieces of steel to wander around the inside of the engine causing havoc. The way to check this is to open up the left side case of the engine and look to see that the spring is in place and connected.
With the case opened, the cam tensioner bolt is at the bottom center of the flywheel in the left half.
Could not see the spring. Using several lights, nothing.
Had to removed the flywheel which is not a simple process. Still no spring in sight. Should be in the dark recesses, where the white spot is.
Now to remove the next case behind the flywheel and starter gear. What I find.... hiding behind it all... a snapped spring. Luckily both ends are still connected to the case.
Those little pieces of steel can destroy an engine if they get loose and into the wrong places.
Count my lucky stars it was found in time. Installed a much better and stronger torsion spring, then buttoned everything back up. Won't know if it is reassembled correctly until I start the bike, which won't be for another month or so.
Slowly parts and pieces are arriving. Have been overworking my PayPal account this week.
As boxes arrive, the work continues. The sidecar itself will not be here for six weeks, so there is time to wrench, replace and upgrade the bike itself.